Now that we’ve set our clocks forward for the year, spring is officially on the minds of many homeowners. Spring is also a time when insects and critters emerge to build nests and forage for food for their young. Sometimes this results in insects and wildlife coming too close to home for comfort. Left unchecked, a little nuisance can turn into an infestation.
Before an infestation occurs, most professional pest control companies recommend taking preventative measures around your home to keep unwanted visitors out. As you embark on spring cleaning this season, employ these simple tips for a pest-free home:
– Seal up entry points. Check your home for cracks along windows and doors, and holes in window screens, especially near light fixtures where insects congregate at night. Seal cracks and consider adding a mesh barrier under porches and decks to ward off wild four-legged friends.
– Keep food in sealed containers. Pet food, bird seed, and dry food items are inviting meals for ants and other pantry pests. Keep these items stored in airtight containers.
– Eliminate standing water. Mosquitoes don’t just ruin backyard barbecues, they can also transmit deadly diseases. Mosquitoes need water to breed, so get rid of any standing water on your property.
– Keep wood and brush away from home structures. These materials appeal to termites, wood-boring beetles, and even bees and wasps. Store these items away from your home, garage and shed.
– Try a dehumidifier. Basements can get particularly damp in the warmer months, providing a haven for centipedes, silverfish, and other pests. A dehumidifier can remove excess moisture.
Despite your best efforts to prevent pests from entering your home, infestations can still occur. Professional pest control companies can help you with environmentally responsible ways to address any pest issues, and prevent future visits from unwelcome insects and wildlife.